Friday, November 19, 2010

A Big Idea

http://grannyhangers.com/Home_Page_V7GR.html




WHERE ARE MY GLASSES?


A familiar refrain. Well, to me, anyway. Since my mid-forties, when presbyopia set in and became a fact of life, losing track of glasses is just the way it is. I keep a spare set in my kitchen cupboard. I don't like that pair much but I need them to find the glasses I do like, the pair I routinely seem to lose.


ACK


I've tried hangers. I just didn't find anything I liked. They broke too easily, they were unkind to my glasses, they all ended up in a drawer. I've been making jewelry for family and friends for years and I recently came up with a design for a glasses hanger that is both functional and stylish.


Stylish functional jewelry. Now that's a nice concept.


Strangers have asked me where I got my hanger and I've made a few for friends. The photo is of one friend and her version is a silver ring, a multicolor blue/green seed glass string with Lapis Lazuli stones. My version is a multi-metal color (gold/silver/copper) seed glass string, a silver ring and one large carved Carnelian.


Anyway, all the interest in what I've made has motivated me. It's galvanized me. I've rented a booth at a local craft fair and I've made forty of the glasses hanger necklace thingies to sell. It's an awkward description so I'm calling them grannyhangers. I'm planning to put them out there for $50 each and will discount them at the craft fair. They'll be selling there for $45. I don't know about the perceived value and it'll be the place to learn something...


I've never done anything like this before. I'm some anxious, a whole lot excited. I'm really learning as I go along. I'm hoping that I can generate a small on-line business with my grannyhangers, that I'll get enough interest going to provide me with a little bit of income and let me be creative doing it.


It would be nice...


This blog will be all about that. It'll be about grannyhangers, this little business I'm working on, what happens with it, how things go, whether I can make it. I plan to try.


Saturday will be the first step...

No comments:

Post a Comment